Chippendale Carved Mahogany Side Chair
- Sold for:
- American Furniture & Decorative Arts - 2337
- Date / Time :
- November 04, 2006 3:00PM
Chippendale Carved Mahogany Side Chair, Boston, 1760-75, the serpentine crest with a central carved ornament flanked by leafage all in high relief over the trefoil splat pattern with volutes, florets and a carved projection at the base is flanked by tapering stiles with rope-carved beads outlining their outer edges over the over-upholstered seat and front square legs also having rope-carved beading and are joined to the raking rear legs by molded H stretchers, old surface, (imperfections), ht. 38, seat ht. 17 in.
Note: A similar example is pictured in plate 52, pp. 92-94 in New England Furniture at Winterthur: Queen Anne and Chippendale Periods by Nancy E. Richards and Nancy Goyne Evans, University Press of New England, 1997. According to this publication: "this Marlborough leg chair is one of five in institutional collections from an original set that probably numbered eight chairs and was owned by the wealthy Quincy family of Boston. Josiah Quincy, Jr., and his bride Abigail Phillips acquired the chairs in 1769 for their Short Street residence. In 1806, thirty years after Quincy's death, the chairs were moved to the family homestead at Braintree, where they furnished the east and west parlors in 1880."
Provenance: This chair was purchased in the 1930s by the mother of the consignor.